tisdag 22 april 2014

Zynq design from scratch. Part 38. « New Horizons Zynq Blog

Zynq design from scratch. Part 38. « New Horizons Zynq Blog



Welcome to my blog

My name is Sven Andersson and I

work as a consultant in embedded

system design, implemented in ASIC

and FPGA.

In my spare time I write this blog

and I hope it will inspire others to

learn more about this fantastic field.


I live in Stockholm Sweden and have

my own company





Contact

You are welcome to contact me

and ask questions or make comments

about my blog.



Where to start

Digilent has published two very informative documents called "Embedded Linux Development Guide" and "Getting Started With Embedded Linux - ZedBoard". The second document describes the Linaro Ubuntu installation. Avnet has written a document called "Ubuntu Desktop Linux" (Register and login to Zedboard.org needed). Probably the best one to use. Let's start there.

Booting Linux on ZedBoard

Booting
the Zynq-7000TM All Programmable SoC (Zynq AP SoC) from an SD card, or
another form of compatible memory, requires that you first place four
items onto your storage device. The four required items are the Linux
file system (either Linaro or BusyBox), a Linux kernel image, a BOOT.BIN
file, and a compiled device tree.

The Linux file system
The
ZedBoard currently supports two different Linux file systems, a BusyBox
ramdisk (used by PetaLinux) and a Linaro Ubuntu distribution.
The
BusyBox ramdisk is a very small file system that includes basic
functionality and runs through RAM. BusyBox is non-persistent, which
means it will not save any changes we make during our operating session
after we power down the ZedBoard.

The Linaro file system is a
complete Linux distribution based on Ubuntu. It includes a graphical
desktop that displays via the onboard HDMI port. Linaro executes from a
separate partition on the SD card, and all changes made are written to
memory. The utility of Linaro is that it will save files even after you
power down and reboot the ZedBoard. In this experiment we will use the
Linaro file system.

The SD card
I
will use a SanDisk SDHC 16GB card (speed grade 4). I tried first using a
SanDisk Ultra card (speed grade 10) but couldn't get it work.




.............. 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar